About the course
• Diploma in Commerce in Public Relations (Qualification code: HDIPCPR1)
• Dip. (Commerce) (Public Relations)
• Prospectus 2018 Programme Category: Occupational Qualification
• SAQA ID 21068, NQF (OQSF) Level 6, minimum Credits 240
• This unique occupational qualification provides graduates with admission and advanced placement to an accredited Boston Higher Education Programme.
Minimum Entry Requirements
A minimum requirement for admission into the diploma is a:
• National Senior Certificate (NSC); or
• National Certificate (Vocational) (NC(V)) Level 4; or
• Prior to 2009, Senior Certificate; or
• Further Education and Training (FET) Certificate.
What is the Duration of Study?
Based on the credits and notional hours of this qualification, the minimum duration is two years and the maximum duration is four years of study.
What is the Purpose of the Qualification?
The purpose of this programme is to ensure that individuals are equipped with intermediate knowledge, theory and methodology of the important disciplines associated with commercial management, public relations, computer literacy and orientation to the world of work. This enables graduates to demonstrate initiative and responsibility in an academic context where application of principles and theory are emphasised as a basis for further undergraduate studies and/or access to a wide range of careers within civil society, the public or private sectors.
The skills, knowledge, attitudes and values required by Public Relations Practitioners are captured in this qualification which is a specialist programme in the field. Thereby offering good breadth on the important topics combined with appropriate occupational and professional depth for its intended purpose. Apart from public relations and integrated communication skills, learners will acquire commercial management skills essential to enter the workplace confidently and competitively. The qualification provides exciting career opportunities in the fields of practice, for example:
• Public Relations Practitioner/Consultant/Assistant
• Communication Officer
• Events Coordinator
• Media or Integrated Communication Specialist
• Marketing Accounts Assistant
• Social Media Manager
What are the Programme Outcomes?
On completion of the programme, graduates will have the necessary knowledge and practical skills required to:
• Operate effectively in the workplace using a number of Windows-based end-user applications
• Apply principles of public relations and integrated communication practice to real life situations
• Analyse legal and financial data
• Demonstrate business and event management skills
• Identify the socio-economic needs of society
• Demonstrate an understanding of business ethics in practice
• Manage the public relations strategy and budget within an organisation
When can I apply and how much are the Application Fees?
Applications are open all year round. There are no application fees payable. Please visit the website http://www.boston.co.za/ for regular updates.
• The closing date for applications for Semester 1 is at 17h00 on Wednesday 7 February 2018.
• The closing date for applications for Semester 2 is at 17h00 on Wednesday 25 July 2018.