Study for a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in the evenings on a part-time basis at the University of the Witwatersrand and advance yourself and your career.
You will gain from superb training in critical thinking skills, exposure to new ideas, analysis of problems, creative thinking and problem solving.
You can major in any two (2) of the following subjects:
- International Relations
- Political Studies
- Psychology (Clinical and Industrial courses)
You can complete your degree by choosing from a wide range of electives.
Wits Plus offers you the unique opportunity to combine a commerce major (HR/Management/Marketing) from the Bachelor of Commerce disciplines with a social sciences Bachelor of Arts major in the BA for the World of Work.
Automatic entry into the BA degree will require a Matric with full exemption and an admission rating score of 22 (prior to 2008 - Old Matric). If you matriculated after 2008, the NSC rating apply and you require at least 34 points.
Success in English on Higher Grade (first or second language) with a symbol of E or above is essential for admission to Wits University, prior to 2008 or after 2008 English HG or first additional language - level 5 or higher.
If you are older than 23 and matriculated prior to 2008, an application will be considered based upon your Matric school leaving certificate (leading to a conditional mature age exemption) or appropriate post-school studies.
Please note: Wits Plus now offers a new access route into the BA degree for mature students. The NBT (National Benchmark Test) will no longer be used.
The Wits Plus BA part-time degree is focused on the Social Sciences
The degree is awarded on completion of two major courses on first, second and third year levels as well as four (4) elective courses.
A full year course typically extends over a year (two semesters) – and points are allocated to each course and you will only accrue those points when you pass the course. A minimum of 456 points is required to be awarded the degree.
Students are advised to enrol for a maximum of two (2) courses per year.
WITS PLUS PART-TIME STUDENTS RECEIVE THE SAME QUALIFICATION AS FULL-TIME STUDENTS.
Part-time students at Wits Plus have two choices when they plan their studies:
- The BA Option 1: BA in Social Sciences This option requires students to major in 2 courses from Social Sciences, such as Sociology and Psychology or Politics and International Relations
- The BA Option 2: BA for the World of Work Wits Plus students have a unique opportunity to include HR Management / Management / Marketing (from the BCom degree) as a second major in the BA degree – contributing a maximum of 180 points, as long as the student fulfills specific conditions and pre-requisites.
Download the provisional 2018 BA Timetable Semester 1 and 2018 BA Timetable Semester 2.
Download the relevant Road Map for an overview of how your studies could be structured:
Please download the relevant fees: 2018 BA Price List
Full BA Course Outlines
Wits Plus students are required to do the following:
You need to attend lectures on the Braamfontein West Campus in the evening. Students attend lectures one evening a week for each course being studied. Normally part-time students are allowed to register for a maximum of 2 full year courses or 4 modular courses in a year. Experience has shown to us that it is very difficult for students to cope with more courses while working and also maintaining a healthy family life.
Lectures are usually held in the evenings (17:30-21:00) and specified courses or tutorials are usually held on Saturday mornings (09:00-13:00).
This may be subject to change depending the final timetable.
MID-YEAR APPLICATIONS WILL BE OPEN FROM 5 MARCH TO 31 MAY 2018
Please take note of the closing dates for applications. Late applications are NOT accepted under any circumstances.
Wits Plus has two student intakes per year for the general BA (NOT the BA with LAW): during January and July of every year. The primary intake for degrees happens in January. You may be asked to write an NBT test if you qualify for mature age exemption.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE BA DEGREE ARE DONE ONLINE. To apply online, you need to follow these steps:
- Make sure you have a functioning email address - preferably Gmail
- Click on the link above and start by creating your profile
- Once you have created your profile, you will receive an email
- Confirm that you have received the email
- Create a 6 digit PIN
- Continue to complete the application form online
PLEASE NOTE: PART-TIME STUDENTS CANNOT APPLY FOR RESIDENCE OR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE - DO NOT COMPLETE THOSE SECTIONS ON THE FORM.
Please ensure that you have:
- Attached certified copies of your ID, marriage certificate (if applicable) and Matric certificate.
- Attached post school certificates and full academic transcripts (if applicable).
- USA (previously HESA - Matriculation Board) Exemption Letter for Mature Age Exemption Applicants.
Once you have been accepted to study at Wits Plus, we will assist you with the choice of courses and planning of your studies.
For further enquiries, please contact our administrators:
Thomas Tshikovha Senior Administrator Tel: +27 11 717 9506 Email: email@example.com
Johannes Mogotsi Administrator Tel: +27 11 717 9505 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Botlhale Madibeng Administrator Tel: +27 11 717 9515 Email: email@example.com