Both management and leadership skills are essential to get people working together to achieve the business' goals and objectives. The role of management is to combine, allocate, coordinate and deploy resources in such a way that business goals are achieved as productively as possible. While leadership is the process of directing the behaviour of employees towards the accomplishment of the business goals by influencing people, giving orders, motivating people, managing conflict and communicating with subordinates.
The purpose of the Management and Leadership course is to provide students with fundamental knowledge and skills in both management and leadership. The Management and Leadership course first reflects on the management functions of planning, organising, leading and control. This is followed by topics related to leadership such as self-management, leadership styles, conflict management, communication in relationships, formulation and management of groups, motivating one-self and subordinates, personal and work related goal setting and performance management.
Whether you want to do this Management and Leadership course in Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg or anywhere in between, you will have equal access to our student support portals and related student services.
- Identify the nature of management and the impact that a changing environment has on the management of an organisation;
- Name and explain the role of planning, organising, leading and control in the management of an organisation;
- Discuss and explain the concept of life skills;
- Explain the importance of communication and the elements associated with it;
- Evaluate own communication skills;
- Describe and practically apply the concepts of problem solving, decision making and conflict management;
- Define the nature of leadership and explain the various leadership traits;
- Discuss and explain the management of groups and diversity;
- Discuss and explain the measurement of performance and its relation to the service profit chain.
Grade 9 (Std7) and at least 16 years old with the ability to read and write in English, the language of instruction.
Students are required to complete and submit one assignment per module. The pass mark for each assignment is 80% unless stated otherwise within the assignment instructions. There are no written examinations for this Course.
- General Management
- Team Leaders
- Junior Manager
- Senior Manager
- Junior Team Leader
This course comprises the following modules:
- Introduction to Management
- Self Awareness
- Leading in Decision Making
- Leading Others